Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I'll give you something to put in good hands

My thoughts are kind of scattered today, so this blog will be too.

1. My thumb hurts. Like really hurts. It hurts to type. It hurts to do nothing. I feel like it looks swollen, but I could be imagining things. I don't know if I sprained it or whatever, but I have no insurance so hopefully it heals up on it's own. I am going to have to be like an old hillbilly that "doesn't like those fancy doctor types" and lets their shit heal all wonky and twisted. Sweet.

2. When I was at the gym the other day, there was a girl who answered her phone right when she got on the treadmill. Not that big of a deal I guess. Well, she continued to talk on her phone for 14 minutes. 14! I am sweating and running and I look over and she's walking and laughing with the phone up to her ear. What the fuck is the point of being on the treadmill if you aren't even going to move? I mean, walking is still good for you. But she was like crawling. And then, the person on the phone put HER on hold. And she waited. For about a minute. Then that person must have had to get off the phone. THEY had to get off the phone, not her. And then she hung up and CALLED SOMEONE ELSE. "Hey. what are you up to?" Seriously???

3. My grandma is funny. She is 89 and I guess I never really started paying attention to her as another person, not just as "grandma", until lately. The past few years I started really listening to her stories. She's got some good ones. And she's got an amazing memory. She grew up in Lakewood and still remembers her old address. And her friend's address on the next street. Plus she said she would go up to the 5 O'Clock on Detroit Rd. The same bar that, many years later, I have walked out of shitfaced on numerous occasions. She would be so proud. Heh. Anyway, I love that right now she tells me about how she can't stand how Rachel Ray says "yummo". She also can't stand Robin Swaboda or Billy Mays, and wishes that the two of them would get in Robin's SUV and drive off a cliff. Oh, Grandma :)

4. The most recent Allstate commercial with the 24 president guy really bugs me. At the end, he says something like, "it's back to basics, and the basics are good. protect them, put them........in good hands". The part that bugs me is after he says "protect them, put them..." he pauses, looks down and THEN says, "...in good hands" and he smiles and it DRIVES ME NUTS. Like he JUST thought of that. Like it wasn't a script and this isn't the 17th take. Oh how clever, it's your little tagline. It seriously makes me want to throw up. Suck it, allstate.

5. Who hates an allstate commercial? jeez.

6. I heard the Agora closed down. So sad. I've had so many good times there. Some of the more memorable shows: Jesus and Mary Chain, A Perfect Circle, Slayer, Meshuggah, Peeping Tom, Social Distortion, Primus, Soul Coughing, Fantomas, Garbage....Man, there are so many more....I just can't remember right now. Nikki, Bobbi and I have had some good times there. The three of us and Beth, my ex Gregg, and Nikki's ex John and I lived in Akron when Fantomas was playing....so we got a room at the Best Hotel. Seriously, we got a room at the hotel right by the Agora. I mean, who does that? But I mean, it was the Best Hotel. How could you pass it up with a name like that? It was like we were on a vacation in another city, even though most of us grew up in Cleveland. The hotel was full of crazy people drinking and partying. There was even a random pregnant girl drinking in our room. I think Nikki's boyfriend peed on me. Good times. Thank you, Agora :)

7. I am seriously a freak about making lists. Sometimes when I make lists I actually write down stuff I already did, so that I feel like I accomplished something. Then I cross it off as soon as I write it down. It's not fair to leave it out just because I decided to make the list AFTER I did it. Right? Anyone?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing with the lists.

Kristen Marie said...

Hi Courtney! Good to know I'm not the only one. Also that I'm not the only girl who loves whiskey :)

Sarah said...

I share your same list obsession. Also at any given time I can have like 70 lists going.

Kristen Marie said...

oh my GOD. at least 70. I have to go through all 70 at one point and merge them into one....and then a week later I'm back up to 70 more lists. wtf.

and that's just the TO DO list. I have all kinds of other lists, like grocery lists, lists of things I want to buy eventually if I ever have money, lists of people to kill...you know, the usual.

:)

mickeyriv said...

A) i think every list-y person does that, i know i do...
and B) your grandma seems awesome and pretty right on.

Eric Collins said...

Not only are you funny, but it might be genetic, your grandma makes me laugh too.

Kristen Marie said...

yes lizette....it's closed! how sad is that?!

and michelle and eric...thanks, my grandma is pretty sweet. she's funny in a brutally honest way and you gotta love that.